Sunday, December 11, 2011

Thank You!

Faithful readers and fans,

This has been a week wrought with indecision and doubt. You might even call it a fork in the road of self-actualization. All writers go through periods of doubt and uncertainty when first published. Such it has been with me this week. Being a successful writer has been my dream for over a quarter of a century. I arrived at a point recently that I actually considered giving up on my dream and never writing another word. I wallowed in self-doubt and I thought to myself -- maybe I'm just not that good. Sure, the economy has been horrible, so readers are being even more discriminating in their selection of new reading material. It's harder than ever to break into the market. Not a lot of people out there are willing to give a new author a chance.

Before I hung up the virtual quill and threw in the towel, I knew that I owed it to myself to at least try to talk to one of my successful author friends. So I crafted a letter and asked my good friend if there was ever a time early in his career that he had considered just giving up. Even though my friend has a very busy schedule, he took the time to respond to me. He encouraged me to not give up and to keep plugging away at it. I doubt he knows or realizes just how much his words meant to me and how very much I needed to hear them. I took his advice. I made the decision to stick with my dreams. I redesigned the cover for Ion and republished it. Almost immediately, I started seeing sales where there were none before.

Then today, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, I checked my sales reports for my Kindle books. As of 7:30 pm EST this evening, The Arbiter Project was #35 in the Kindle Thrillers/Suspense category and #583 on the bestsellers list! In the U.K., it is #15 in the Kindle Thrillers/Suspense category and #186 overall in the bestseller rankings! To think just a few days ago I almost walked away.

I cannot begin to tell you how very touched and humbled I am to see the success of The Arbiter Project! It is all thanks to you, my loyal and faithful fans spreading the word about my works. I honestly believe it is also due to the encouragement of my good friend, Jeremy Robinson. While you continue to tell all of your family, friends, and whoever will listen about my books, please let them know to check out Jeremy's works as well. Without his words, you might not have seen another novel from me. I owe him a lot. He is a great friend and a really good writer. He also writes as Jeremy Bishop and has published two novels so far under that pen name.

As a way to say thank you to all of you for restoring my faith and filling me with the Holiday Spirit for the first time in many, many years, I wanted to do something special for all of you.

From today, December 11 through December 15 in the Kindle store, you will be able to download The Arbiter Project for FREE! That wasn't enough, though. I wanted to do more, so immediately after that from December 16 - December 20, you will be able to download the first novel in my Arbiters of Justice series, Ion, for FREE as well.

Again, thanks to all of you and Merry Christmas!!!

~ Marek Storm